Saturday 21 April 2018

Day 49 - the art of keeping quiet plus TWO tests at free bars and my appy-appy-joy-joy

I have been busy-busy with work and family and tbh a few times I was wobbly about wine and deliberately didn't blog because I wanted to see if I could manage it just inside my head.

Jog on, cravings, I said.

Take a hike.

I don' need you no more.

And tickle me sideways if those dumb thoughts didn't just pack up and GO.

Free bar test #1

Last two nights I've stayed in a hotel with a mini bar in the room and a free bar in the reception lounge.  I've work-traveled for many years and this would have been my idea of lush heaven.  Get merry on the free bar then head up to my room for night caps (probably after a boozy dinner out, too).

After my daughter went home last night I opened and closed the fridge door about five times.  Thought about the ginger beer, decided against it, as the soft drink would have led to salt-and-vinegar kettle chips, and the chips might have led to the lovely crisp looking beer in the fridge door.

So I WALKED out of the room, headed up to a little Vietnamese takeaway near the hotel. Ordered a sparkling water with my papaya salad, and headed back refreshed, clear of temptation, and pretty damn pleased with myself.

Free bar test #2

Qantas Club - my spiritual home for work travel.  Here I am, at one of my favourite spots with a powerpoint, view of the departure board, and close proximity to the open bar and food.

I'm here early for my flight and would normally be mainlining the wine by now.

So how has it gone? 

1: lime and soda
2: lemon, lime and bitters
3: chai latte
(and a ham, cheese and pineapple toasted wholemeal pita bread, yum)

Worst moment? When the clock struck midday and the bar staff popped the first champagne corks on the self-serve bar.  That sound. Oh boy. I just love that sound.


But I am ok.  I am. 

Appy-appy-joy-joy

I've tried a few apps but the one I keep checking is this super basic one called I'm Done Drinking.  What I love most is the six decimal places on each measure because they constantly tick over, reminding you that the difference you're making isn't by the day or the week or month, but in every second you don't drink.

 

















MTC
Bec

7 comments:

  1. You did a great job! Hotel rooms and airports are tricky places for sure!
    Love the money you are saving!
    Woo Hoo!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to wake up the morning after and feel good, knowing you resisted all temptations. Well done you.
    Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that app, I'm going to try it! Congrats and good job, while hard at times, the days do add up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find free booze has always beeen tough for me. But I know it’s not really free. It would be the most expensive drink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way.

    Hugs,
    S

    ReplyDelete

Day 49 - the art of keeping quiet plus TWO tests at free bars and my appy-appy-joy-joy

I have been busy-busy with work and family and tbh a few times I was wobbly about wine and deliberately didn't blog because I wanted to ...